Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Class Wars (Where Are We Going)

Where Are We Going
By Christian McHausenstern



I was offered by the great editors here at EWF Magazine to take a break from my usual newspaper beat. They wanted me to kick my thirty dollar shoes on the table, lean back in my chair, and share some of my thoughts. The only thing I can think about is where the heck all this is going. It's not even a question, it's more of an existential statement.
Okay, it is actually a question. The answer is I have no idea. This is not a spectacular place to start an editorial from. Just one month ago I would've seen this whole landscape clearly and started with a statement such as "Philip Berkowitz's descent and departure are clear indications that the mainstays are leaving the building." I would've been right. The mainstays are indeed getting far more quiet. David Finn returned with little fan fare and has said nothing to the press. I imagine it's mostly because he intends to duck his brothers challenge at this ppv. Dr. Frank is having a resurgence, but that is suddenly waylaid by his involvement in the First Estate. Mark my words, the big man would've been far better off with the aggressive and title hungry Ty Chee. Still, with Frank's eye only on Fred, it's clear that his days as champion are most likely over.
Not that this is all bad. David Finn is till a very viable champ in the future I think, but mostly all this room has allowed some youngsters to breathe and grow. We've got an exciting young new champ fighting against an exciting young challenger. We've got Jamal, who never broke the ceiling to meet his potential, poised for an enormous upset victory if it were to happen. And how about Alex Nyquist fighting Joey Baboon? Nyquist finally seems to finding his stride here.
So why the confusion about where everything is going? Because the Class Wars seem poised to create a lot of damage in this federation. I know it's hard to believe. I know some people aren't interested, but the truth is that these are two highly motivated groups. Each one wants all the titles, and each one is willing to go through hell to get them. As the vortex of their craving continues to spin it can only suck the rest of the federation in, in some way or another. As with groups from the past, such as the NWO, lines of good and evil tend to get blurred. H Randolph Scott is clearly working from a noble place, but William Berkowitz seems to be a little more self involved. I don't fault the young man for that, i simply note it.
Slaughter at the Seaport will most likely be an engaging PPV, but I am far more interested in what happens next than in what is happening now. That's how the war drums beat sometimes. As we approach Turkey Tussle and eventually West Side War, I can see many of these confrontations coalescing into exciting and defining moments. For now these are just pieces of a larger puzzle. With no clear picture, I can't even start to put it together.

No comments: