Friday, September 14, 2007

The Road Ahead

The Road Ahead
Christian "Mayor McCheese" McHausenstern
Trumbull Conn-
The Superstars of EWF Wrestling have arrived in Trumbull and are readily preparing for the enormous event set to take place at BLATT ARENA tomorrow. The card itself is jam packed with action, albeit no actual rumble match. While this is much to Doggman's chagrin it suits this intrepid reporter just fine, as I prefer single and tag matches as defining forces for contendership.
Two of the stars to make the biggest stir upon their arrival were Dr. Frank, the "Iceman" or "Monster", and Ty Chee. Dr. Frank had no comment on the recent offer tendered by William O. Orange. In fact Dr. Frank had no comment on any subject. Ty Chee did respond to reporter's questions with his usual straightforward no nonsense attitude. When asked about his title aspirations Ty Chee responded succinctly. "I will be champion. And it's going to happen sooner than later." Chee was asked how he feels his contest against Philip Berkowitz effects his title hopes, "People are under the impression that my fight with Phil is personal. It isn't personal. My fight with Phil is based solely on the fact that he denied me a title shot. Phil is also a former champion, shortlived maybe, but I intend to press my claim that I should be considered number one contender."
Ty Chee isn't alone. There are a number of superstars who have caught title fever. It's little surprise considering the long term entrenched title reign of David Finn saw little room for victory. Don Edwards was kind enough to give me some perspective when he said "Finn's run left little room for anyone to squeeze in. He was so dominant over that time, that some people didn't even consider a run." With a new champion, unproven, and perhaps a little green, many wrestlers here smell blood, and more important opportunity.
"It isn't enough to want the title shot, you have to earn it. But with a new champion there's less distance between the contender and title holder. A new champion still has something to earn," Ross Robinson spoke to me over a cup of coffee. Robinson will not be participating in the current PPV but I asked him about his future aspirations. "After all that stuff that went down with Preston, I needed a moment to clear my head. I'll tell ya what Chris, don't be surprised if I jump into that title scene."
And so it was from competitor to competitor. Eyes aglow, waist lines light and wanting. So what of the current champion. Obviously pressed for time, and needing to fulfill the demands of so many news outlets Tracey Dix, United States Champion, a kind young man, surprisingly quiet compared to our last champion, responded. "Frankly, I'm gonna fight the fight. I have a lot to prove. This title, the history, the honor. I don't look ahead, you have to win the match in front of you."
A thoughtful and fair comment from a young champion. I hope he'll excuse the many eyes peering down the road that leads to Halloween Havok.

No comments: