Monday, January 28, 2008

Blog From the Beat 2

Hey there wrestling fans, wrestling reporters, and yes even
you cantankerous clowns of the ring who clandestinely read this
colorful collection of stories from the beat. The beat takes us to
St. Louis, Missouri this week, and It's been a terrific opportunity to
look beyond the EWF's home base, and see what's wrestling in the rest
of the country.
The SLWF (St. Louis Wrestling Federation) is a local
wrestling company that, like all small wrestling companies, has
experienced terrific success locally thanks to the EWF's success
nationally. Certainly the wrestling isn't as hard hitting as in the
hallowed halls of the Trumbull Arena, but there is a certain drive and
heart here that has been encompassed by their current champion
Johnathan St. Pierre, the Louisiana Kid. We caught up with him on an
evening after he had successfully defended his title against The
Grievous Giant, and mountain of a man that has a strange obsession
with death.

CM: Just a terrific match tonight!

JSP: Thank's man!

CM: The Grievous Giant seemed to really have it in for you. His
attack before the match was particularly brutal.

JSP: Probably my own fault. I told him to just chill out.

CM: That's it?

JSP: Well it was more like "Chill Grevious Bitch, you're making me uptight".

CM: Didn't like that huh?

JSP: Na, he's all "The angels of death approach, the fates measure
your thread and find it wanting." So I told him "The fates a measured
your d*ck and found it wanting."

CM: You really impressed me in the ring.

JSP: Thanks, that's real nice of you to say.

CM: There's a huge difference between your laid back attitude here
and your attitude inside the square circle

JSP: Oh absolutely. I mean, look...this is the greatest thing in the
world. Wrestling that is. I mean, I'm a wrestler, I'm just not pissed
off about it.

CM: You're currently the SLWF Champion, what do you want to do next?

JSP: You know what I want. I want to headline the EWF.

CM: How tough is it for a young new wrestler to break in.

JSP: Real tough! Almost impossible really. One in a million chance.

CM: You think you're that one?

JSP: I do Christian. I really do.

CM: Anything you'd like to say to all the fans that are going to read
this blog post?

JSP: I hope I get the chance to show you guys what I got. I wanna
get in there and mix it up with Tracey Dix, and have a drink with
David Finn. I mean it's where the legends battle...it's where I
belong.

I find myself reflective on this particular sojourn through
Missouri. I remember when I first started, and how my eyes were
filled with stars. At that time Dr. Frank was a beloved face, Johnny
James was champion, Earl Jamal and Finn all drank together at a bar
called Muprhy's. The tag champs were two loved and hated fellas
called the Heartbreakers, and the most beloved group was a team
appropriately titled Team USA. This federation has come so far.
Villains are now heroes and vice versa. Watching these young
wrestlers work, it only leads me to ask what else can happen?

Till next time!

No comments: